Monday, July 6, 2009

Spoonbill


Visiting my freind Tod Polson's blog I was inspired by the fantastic birds he is creating for a "Birds of Thailand" show. I thought it was an interesting little project to try my hand at, so I chose the Black-faced Spoonbill.

I have also been looking at a lot of Charley Harper recently ( if you had not guessed). His work is amazingly simple yet very evocative of the actual animal. He doesn't reduce the creatures to cartoon simplifications, he seems to effortlessly crystallize only the important details of the animal into a perfect illustration. Very inspiring.

I am not sure I lived up to either Charley or Tod, but I had fun trying.

3 comments:

  1. love harper's stuff!! great piece here- gorgeous colors :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy. Random blog reader here. I was directed here from Lambey's blog. First off, I know Harper's work and it's really interesting to see you take it a step further. Lovely color palette here, too. Secondly, I really liked El Tigre. It was the fastest moving cartoon I think I've ever watched. It was cut down long before its time. Great design and color in that show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. man, keepin consistent with the work dood, dope!

    ReplyDelete